Thursday, December 26, 2013

Eating out...and mental health.

My husband and I had dinner tonight with two of my best girlfriends from grad school and their respective husband/boyfriend.  I had looked at the menu online before we left so I had some idea of what I was going to order.  When the time came, the item I had selected an item from the kids menu- grilled chicken and french fries.  The waitress told me she could not let me order from the kids menu and that her boss would not allow it.  I was irritated and didn't really feel like explaining that I had bariatric surgery and that I just didn't want all the food that comes with an "adult entree".  Instead I had to order a side of fries and a grilled chicken breast (that was overcooked and dry- the fries were super yummy though...but as we all know, protein first!).   Needless to say, it was a little bit frustrating.  For next time I will just order the turkey burger and leave the bun.



I have been thinking a lot lately about the mental part of this entire journey.  I have a really great therapist- a LSCW- who I have been working with for close to two years now.  I do a 90 minute session once a week and added an additional 45 min. session later in the week.  I enjoy the process of debriefing and unpacking my experiences and developing a better understanding of the WHY behind the things I do and feelings I have.  It is not for everyone, I know this, but I feel like I am in such a different place now after my work with my person than I was 5 years ago when I first began therapy (with a different therapist) and addressed many of my food related issues.  I don't know how people embark on this journey and not have mental health support.  One session to be cleared by a psych is not enough in my humble opinion.   Truly understanding why we ate the way we did it an important awareness to come to.  I am physically unable to eat more than about 1/2 C. at a time but the head game of eating still rears it's ugly head from time to time and it catches me off guard.  Missing bread is one of the most challenging.  Wanting to enjoy a bagel and cream cheese on a Saturday morning-I miss that.  It seems silly to waste the stomach space on bread like that though.  When I can eat so little, why would I waste the space on a fifth of a bagel??? The head game is amazing and I imagine with time it will get easier but for now it is a huge part of this process.

1 comment:

  1. Bread will also be my nemesis. I have always been a bread lover.
    My Dr gave me this nifty card after the surgery that says I had weight loss surgery and can order from kids menus. I wish you had something like that!

    ReplyDelete