Saturday, December 14, 2013

The Great Carb Debate of 2013

Here's the thing.  I can only eat about 4-6 oz at a time, depending on the food.  75%of my stomach was removed.  By default, I can't eat much.  There are people who run the gamut of carb beliefs: those who are the "carbs are the devil" people, the "low carb is fine" people, and the "everything in moderation" people.  I am somewhere in-between the last two.  It got me thinking so I did a little research. This article from LIVESTRONG states: 

 "The "2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans" recommends that about half of your daily calories, or between 45 percent to 65 percent to be exact, be provided by carbohydrates. This amount of carbohydrates corresponds to between 225 g and 325 g of total carbohydrates, of which 25 g to 38 g should be fiber, based on a 2,000-calorie diet. The carbohydrate recommendation can be met by following MyPyramid, which promotes the daily consumption of 5 to 8 oz. of grains, 1.5 to 2 cups of fruits, 3 cups of dairy and up to 265 calories' worth of sugar or processed foods, based on a 2,000-calorie diet."
When you are only eating 600-800 calories a day you have to scale the carbs-I teach English so don't ask me to figure out the math.  The article goes on to state regarding Low carb diets,

"Many low-carb eating plans recommend restricting your carbohydrate intake below 20 percent of your calories, which corresponds to 100 g or less of total carbohydrates a day. Although it is generally advised that the bulk of your calories be provided by carbohydrates, "the lower limit of dietary carbohydrate compatible with life apparently is zero, provided that adequate amounts of protein and fat are consumed," according to the "Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids," published by the Institute of Medicine in 2005."

Most of my meals have consisted of very high protein (think lean chicken breast and low fat mayo purees and mayo free egg salad).  It keeps me going through the day.  Tonight I made Whole wheat ricotta gnocchi. I had about 3/4 cup of the light bites with a small amount of pesto and low fat mozzarella.  It did bump up my carbs for the day but it was nice to eat something hot and rib sticking.

In the end, I think we have to listen to our bodies (not our minds-mental hunger is a dangerous thing) and our nutritionists. One day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment