Friday, January 31, 2014

"Sea of Love"....and loss

A friend from college was killed last night in a hit-and-run accident in San Diego, CA.  He was 32.

When I met Seamus O'Bryan in 2000 while attending college at UA in Tucson.  Seamus was young, kind of annoying and earnest.  He threw himself into anything he was doing.  He also always had a kind word, was always willing to lend a hand and was the little brother we balanced a love/hate relationship with.  After I graduated in 2002, I was not sure I would ever hear from many people again- this was before Facebook, of course.  As with any college program, you hear about people through the grape vine.  You hope they are doing well.  It was a number of years later, I was living here in NY and Seamus was in Vanuatu, in the South Pacific, doing amazing humanitarian work and living the boat life.  We exchanged a few messages, catching up.  I was so impressed with this boy who had grown into the adult I was seeing in the many photos he posted online.  Seamus was LIVING LIFE!

In 2009, he shared some extraordinary correspondence about Theatre of the Oppressed work and theatre education while he was in residency at Montalvo Arts Center.  I had found a new connection with an old friend and exciting exchange if ideas took place.

I feel so lucky to have been a witness to the evolution of this amazing man.  He touched countless lives, including mine.

This video was taken last night at the opening of The Old Globe's latest show.  Seamus performing at the opening night party.

You will be missed by so many.  I hope you are riding high and flashing that big grin.  We love you.

Rest In Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment