Friday, February 21, 2014

Good News!

My nutritionist called this afternoon to let me know the results of my blood work.  One of the tests they do is an a1c test.  The NIH defines it as: 

"The A1C test is a blood test that provides information about a person’s average levels of blood glucose, also called blood sugar, over the past 3 months. The A1C test is sometimes called the hemoglobin A1c, HbA1c, or glycohemoglobin test. The A1C test is the primary test used for diabetes management and diabetes research."

When my blood work was done in November before my surgery my number was 6.9.  As you can see from the table below, I was labeled as diabetic.  This week, my new numbers came back: 5.8.  We anticipate that it will just keep going down it is was great news.  Another reason I am happy I had WLS!!!

Diagnosis*A1C Level
Normalbelow 5.7 percent
Diabetes6.5 percent or above
Prediabetes5.7 to 6.4 percent

No comments:

Post a Comment