Saturday, February 8, 2014

Learning to Love: OATMEAL!


I hated Oatmeal for year.  YEARS.  It has only been in the last year or so that I started trying to eat oatmeal.  It was never the flavor but the texture that always got me.  After meeting with my nutritionist at the time Alana, I knew I had to give it another go.  I started with a Kashi instant oatmeal. It was good. I didn't love it but it was, OKAY.  About a month ago I was at Starbucks and tried their oatmeal- a blend of steel cut and rolled oats.  It was really yummy!  Still a little gummy, but good.

On a suggestion from my coworker, Val I tried Mccann's Steel Cut Oatmeal.  150 calories, 4 g of protein, 2.5 g of fat (the healthy kind).  I added a little brown sugar and some skim milk.  Breakfast!  
Elise Wile wrote a piece for Livestrong.org called "Health & Weight Loss Benefits of Oatmeal".  She points out that, "Oatmeal contains soluble fiber, which attaches to cholesterol-containing bile acids as it moves through the body, causing your body to absorb less cholesterol. Eating two servings of oatmeal each day provides three grams of soluble fiber, which is the amount you need to lower your cholesterol by two or three percent..." In addition to lowering cholesterol it also a low calorie food having only 150 calories per serving (1/4 cup, uncooked).  Wile also writes, "Oatmeal has three grams of fat per serving, all of which is naturally occurring. Most of the trivial amount of fat in oatmeal is monounsaturated or polyunsaturated, which are healthy fats that will not negatively affect cholesterol. Oatmeal remains low in fat when you refrain from adding cream or butter. A dash of nonfat milk or soymilk works well with oatmeal and won’t add to the fat content." I eat so few calories each day I allow myself the splurge of a little brown sugar-not a regular thing but a nice treat.  

I know many of my fellow sleevers would be against this move but, it was years of extremes that got me into my yo-yo/dieting mess so balance is the key to this marathon journey.  I get to have a little brown sugar on my oatmeal once in a while.  That is balance.  So don't worry.  Add some nuts or flax seeds to your oatmeal to boost the nutritional content and enjoy your oatmeal, one bite at a time!








Wile, Elise. "Health & Weight Loss Benefits of Oatmeal." LIVESTRONG.COM. Demand Media, Inc, 21 Oct. 2013. Web. 08 Feb. 2014. <http://www.livestrong.com/article/242597-health-weight-loss-benefits-of-oatmeal/>.

No comments:

Post a Comment