Wednesday, May 14, 2014

When to break up with your Doctor







114 POUNDS GONE FOREVER!






One week after surgery....


Last week....

It is still a little shocking to catch my face in the mirror.  How the shape of my face has changed so much.

On Monday I wore the dress I wore at the rehearsal dinner for our wedding.  I remember feeling so beautiful in the sweet sundress.  It is too big for me now however I wore it any way, thank you 85 degrees on Monday and felt good.  One of my very sweet co workers, Andrew, greeted me that morning with, " You look amazing.  Really amazing."  A good way to start a Monday.

On the flip side, I had a really frustrating appointment with me Primary MD yesterday.  All he is really doing right now is managing my blood pressure medication.  He has never has a patient who has the sleeve before but he speaks of two different men who both had gastric bypass-middle age men who had GBP 10 years ago.  I get irritated when he compares me to them because we could not be more different.  I try to cut him slack because they are his reference points but as of late it just leaves me feeling undermined and unsupported.  He always asks me the same three questions: 1. What is your goal weight? 2. How much have you lost? and 3. How are you going to keep the weight off?

Sheesh dude, 1. I am not even to my goal yet (Right now by ballpark is between 180-190 lbs). 2.  Look at the chart, you weight me every time so you can bill for the visit even if you don't do any but check my BP. 3. I don't know yet what maintenance is going to look like because I am not there.  I don't know how long it will take ME to get there.  My blood pressure always shoots up when I go to his office because it is stressful.  I take my BP at home and it is low, very low.  109/70, for example.

I had a good talk with my mom who reminded me that my Doctor works for me and not the other way around.  If it is not working, I can find a new PCP.  It is ok.  So I am on the hunt for a new Dr.  One who will support me rather than condem me to repeating the mistakes of past patients.

No comments:

Post a Comment