Sunday, June 22, 2014

4 Weddings, Shopping Off The Rack, and A BONUS RECIPE!

To The As many of you know Charlie and I traveled to Chicago this weekend to witness the wedding of our wonderful friend Teslen to her new husband Noah. There are 4 of us girls who met that first semester at NYU for graduate school. We became fast friends setting up a weekly dinner to talk, vent, gossip and continue to grow and evolve at women and educators. It was an amazing 2 years together full of laughter tears and cosmos. It was NYC after all. :-)

After graduation Tes returned to Chicago, Jill, Toni and I staying in NYC. The summer after our first year of teaching I was the first to get married. All my girls descended in Brooklyn for a whirlwind weekend of wedding wonder.  In the years that followed Jill got married, then Toni and finally, last but not least, the youngest of the NYU sisters married.

You may be thinking to yourself,  Meredith that is a nice story but this is a blog about your weight loss surgery journey.  I'm getting there. Weddings are about a lot of things. For the bride, so much is wrapped up in the dress. I ended up making my dress with help from the brilliant and extremely gifted costume designer who also happens to be a wonderful friend from high school. It had been so frustrating to find a dress that fit MY body. I was at about 295 after doing 9 months of Jenny Craig...losing about 50 lbs. I felt beautiful in that dress. I knew that custom made clothing always fits better than off the rack but this was a true object lesson. I was the actor in this show and the designer and it was my responsibility to make myself looks great. Which I did.

By the time Jill's wedding came my weight had climbed back up...my guess about 325-330. It was a struggle to find something to wear to this wedding that I would not be embarrassed in.  I won't lie, for the most part I have maintained a pretty stylish plus size wardrobe.  I was always able to find flattering pieces.  Trouser jeans are your friend, not skinny jeans or jeggings.
At Jill's Wedding...
Add caption

Toni's Wedding
When Toni got married last year in the spring we all reunited one more time out on Long Island. Tes flew in again, and we rented a Zip car and Charlie, Tes, Jill and I made the trip out. I was fast approaching my highest weight. I found a great maxi dress at Torrid in a 4x that was not the most flattering but it would do.  We ate a ton, danced a ton,  and I didn't let my weight get in the way of celebrating. I hate the pictures and O know there are a lot of them. It is hard the.be the biggest person at an event. You don't want to stand out but when one is at events where everyone looks fancy in new dresses and heels it always left me feeling...less...in some way. Not beautiful and not as good as everyone else.

By the time Toni's wedding had come I was already entertaining the idea of WLS.  My weight climbed more yet and as many of you know I reached my highest weight that summer at 386.




When Tes asked me to read a beautiful passage from The Alchemist at the wedding, I was honored.  I knew I was going to get a new dress. I first ordered one.from Mod Cloth but.it was poorly made and the torso was so small there was no way it was a 2x. I returned it and found a dress at Macy's. 

The girls have descended on Chicago...
Originally I had bought a 22 but when it.came in early May I was already swimming in it.  I returned for one size smaller, which was still a little big in spots.  I found black sandals on amazon but my size is also going down and a 10 is too big. I dug out the shoes I bought for.my wedding and.didn't wear because my feet  swelled so much the day of our hot August wedding.  They are a little big but were perfect for the wedding this weekend.

I was on the hunt for something to wear with my dress...a shrug or something and I went I to Ann Taylor and found a beautiful little jacket...in XL that I bought. No plus size. No worry that I would not fit into anything. I bought off the rack and it was a glorious moment.

I stood up at the wedding later that night not worried that I was being recorded.  I stood tall between Noah and Teslen and read the beautiful passage about finding love and knew some of my best friends in the world and my husband were there, loving me for me as they had at every wedding before. It was an amazing moment and I am glad I could share their day without any shame or embarrassment. I have worked hard these last 7 months. I earned that moment.

Over the last 8 years of our amazing friendship these three women have stood by me through ups and downs and their friendship never wavered.  They are my NYU sisters and I love them more than I could every say.  

Noah and Tes
With Jill

Poptail: Bourbon Butterscotch Latte (SF/FF)

Makes 6 popsicles.

IngredientsCaloriesCarbsFatProteinSodiumSugar
Smucker's - Sugar Free Fat Free Caramel Sauce, 4 Tbsp18048001300Ico_delete
Bulleit - Bourbon, 4 oz29100000Ico_delete
Cream - Half and half, fat free, 4 fl oz7111231746Ico_delete
Starbucks - Coffee - Extra Bold, 16 oz500000Ico_delete


Total:54759233046
Per Serving:911001511
DIRECTIONS:

1. Add all ingredients into a blender and mix to combine. Pour mixture into popsicles mold.
2. Freeze for about 2 hours or until mixture starts to solidify enough to hold a popsicle stick upright. Insert popsicle sticks and finish freezing popsicles overnight. To release popsicles run hot water on the outside of popsicle molds for a 2-3 seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment