Saturday, January 11, 2014

Navigating "Real" Food

I kinda love this! Maybe I will fart rainbows
when I reach my goal!


I went for my 1 month (but it was more like 6 week) follow up this week.  I was really nervous to go because I feared my surgeon being disappointed with my progress (as I write that, I know it is ridiculous).  I have been stalled for about 2 weeks- about when the transition to soft foods came.  I know things are changing because my clothes continue to get bigger but the number on the scale is not changing.  Yes, I know what you are saying, "Meredith, put your scale away.  You know that is not the best way to gauge your success."  I know, I know.  

I found this tip list about a month ago and I keep coming back to it as a reminder of things to do as I am eating:

Use these tips to slow down the eating process. 
 
• Eat 5 small meals per day, do not skip meals 
  
• Check the clock, take 30 minutes to eat every meal. It may help to keep a clock at your kitchen table. 
 
• Cut your food into small pieces and chew each bite about 20-30 times or until it feels like puree in your mouth. 
 
• Use a small spoon, cocktail fork, chopsticks or baby utensils. This helps you to eat smaller bites and helps control the speed of your eating. 
 
• Learn to savor the flavor and really taste each bite of food. 
 
• Place sandwiches and other finger foods back on your plate between bites. 
 
• Put your fork/knife/spoon down between bites. 
 
• If you are right handed, eat with your left hand, and vice versa. (Check out this spot ABC News just did on eating with your opposite hand.)
 
• Don’t let other people rush you, take your time and enjoy your food!


All good tips for me to remember.  I will keep working on getting 60-80 grams of protein in each day  (easier said than done!).  I will not worry about counting carbs because protein and veggies come first! I will drink 2L of water each day.  I picked up two flavors of Dasani Drops, the Cherry Pomegranate is my favorite.

Hope all is well!  

MT

No comments:

Post a Comment